What office are you running for? La Porte County Council District 2
What political party are you affiliated with? Democratic Party
What is your education?
A 1978 graduate of Rogers High School and has continued his education and training through the years attending Ivy Tech, Purdue North Central, University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, and many State of Indiana and Federal classes - acquiring numerous certifications, licenses, and training; including Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), State Fire Investigator, State Fire Inspector, International Association of Arson Investigators - Expert Witness Courtroom Testimony, Managing Real Estate Broker, and more. Completed Leadership La Porte County and Leadership NW Indiana.
What is your occupation?
- Elected to the La Porte County Council
- Currently, President of the Council Broker Associate with Century 21 Affiliated (licensed in Indiana and Michigan)
- Retired Fire Chief Michigan City Fire Department
What is your candidate platform?
Responsibly moving La Porte County forward while being fiscally responsible. Improving the quality of life for all our residents. Open communication, transparency, working across party lines to find the best solution(s) possible.
Give three reasons why voters should consider you this election.
- FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY IS A MUST: I will continue to make sound, well-thought-out decisions while continuing to move La Porte County forward. Our county is in good financial shape, because of sound budgeting. I can assure you that I (and the Council) have been working with all department heads for strategic planning - while being fiscally responsible.
- A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE adds VALUE to our county's citizens. I believe that quality of life starts with local government - the roads we drive on, the parks we enjoy, employment opportunities, education, health and safety, emergency response, property and homes, and more. I support all of our emergency services - for well over three decades I've worked in public safety, including side-by-side with emergency medical services (EMS) and law enforcement, and I truly understand the need to fund and support their operations. This absolutely includes supporting all of our other county departments as well. Finding solutions for addiction, drug abuse, and mental health issues. I support strong emergency services, as well as Problem Solving Court and Veterans Court - I make it a priority to attend every graduation. These programs work hard and have shown success at rehabilitation, helping La Porte County citizens with a second chance. I have facilitated meetings, and continue to work with organizations to bring future rehab facilities to La Porte County. I will also continue to focus on safe and well-maintained county roads. Especially, as we come out of each winter, our roads always need repair. I want our paving dollars maximized by seeking grants and federal funds. I will continue to support the creation and retention of living-wage jobs in our county. I personally know what it's like to work more than one job to make ends meet while raising my own family right here in La Porte County. We need to continue our collaboration between La Porte City, Michigan City, and La Porte County for Economic Development. We also need to continue the work of developing a trained workforce to fill new jobs and existing jobs.
- MY GOAL is always to be â€œpart of the solution with my proven experience, hard work, core values, and a common-sense approach. I believe in reaching out in a bipartisan fashion, to find common ground for a better La Porte County. I will continue to represent our county with integrity, respecting all citizens with open and honest transparency. I maintain an open line of communication and am engaged with the public in our county. In an effort to improve relationships, I also meet with our state officials in Indianapolis and other locations, whenever possible.
Is there anything else you'd like voters to know about you?
It is an honor to serve the citizens of La Porte County. The last couple of years, we have had to adapt to a new way of doing county business. When the pandemic first hit, I saw the need to bring our whole county together for better communication â€“ including towns, cities, the health department, hospitals, schools, community leaders, non-for-profits, and more. Throughout La Porte County we are now communicating better by openly sharing information. We have had these scheduled meetings for two years now, and I hope to continue this open and informative exchange of information. As I see it, these meetings have become essential for our county. I have professional experience specific to public service - business, finance, contract negotiation, mediation, managing multimillion-dollar budgets, and capital expenditures. As a resident of La Porte County since childhood and raising my family here, I am committed to being very involved, because I want to add value to our community. I support Veterans - my dad served in the Korean War, and my father-in-law served in World War II. I am thankful to all who are serving and have served our country. I have spent the last eight years working as your county councilman - I believe that I am making a positive difference. Since elected, I have been present at every council meeting, except for one - when my grandson was born.
EXPERIENCE MATTERS + COMMITTED TO THE COMMUNITY + DEDICATED TO PROGRESS: I want to continue working for you - as a voice of reason, to keep La Porte County moving forward. Your support is appreciated!
Current Leadership and Community Involvement
- Retired Chief, Michigan City Fire Department
- President, La Porte County Council
- Vice President, La Porte County 911 Advisory Board
- President, La Porte County Redevelopment Commission
- Chairman, La Porte County Fire Chiefs Association
- Board Member, North Central Community Action Agencies, Inc.
- Licensed Real Estate Broker Past Leadership and Community Involvement
- Union President, Michigan City Firefighters Local #475
- President, La Porte County Association of Realtors
- Served 4 years on the Pension Management Oversight Commission, Indianapolis.
- Board of Directors, Indiana Fire Chiefs Association
- Michigan City Fire Pension Board
- Vice President, Samaritan Counseling Center
- Michiana Shores, Indiana - Elected to the Town Council 3rd Ward 1991-1996
- Has held several other positions with community and professional organizations, in addition to supporting and volunteering for a variety of local charitable causes.