Candidate Website: ottforsheriff.com
What office are you running for? LaPorte County Sheriff
What political party are you affiliated with? Democratic Party
What is your education?
- La Porte High School
- Ball State University (Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science)
- Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) Honors Graduate
- ILEA Certified Firearms Instructor (23 years)
What is your occupation? Captain/Jail Commander for the La Porte County Sheriff's Office, serving for 28 years
What is your candidate platform? Efficiency. Integrity. Public Service. These three pillars will resonate throughout the Sheriff's Office. We accomplish this by coming to work every day with focus and driven energy. I am committed to keeping our community safe by finding modern solutions to modern problems and implementing them. Our world is constantly evolving and the willingness to change with it is a good character trait to have. The relationship with the Sheriff's Office and our community is strong however, we need to continue building upon that bond. Although crime is a complex problem with multiple factors feeding into it, good old-fashioned hard work and diligence will aid in combating that. Those that know me, know that effort is one of my strongest qualities. If everybody gives 100% effort our community benefits and we accomplish these goals.
Give three reasons why voters should consider you this election.
- Humble Leadership. The number one goal of the Sheriff is to lead a public safety organization that keeps its community safe. But, to achieve that goal, a Sheriff must be a humble leader, diligent learner, and public servant. I have supported the implementation of Jail Officer Leadership Training (JOLT), an ongoing leadership program for supervisors created by the training staff in the Jail Division. This also included diversity training for every staff member to help create a better and more caring workforce. These efforts have paid off as the LaPorte County Jail has been fully staffed since 2018 with a waiting list for the first time in the Jail's employment history.
- Family Oriented. I come from a law enforcement family. I was raised by a police officer and now raise my family as one. For the past 21 years, I have supported my daughters in their ambitions and have proudly watched them achieve their goals in life. Now as collegiate basketball players, my wife and I attend all of their games and cheer them on. I will bring the same quality of family values to all of the employees at the Sheriff's Office.
- Experience. I've worked in numerous capacities in my nearly 28-year career with the Sheriff's Office. Since 1994, I have served as a Jail Deputy, Merit Deputy, Detective, Patrol Sergeant, Patrol Captain, and most recently, Jail Commander. I have worked tirelessly to save taxpayer dollars by negotiating a new medical contract to provide 24/7 medical care for inmates and privatizing the Jail kitchen which saved well over $300,000 per year. I have demonstrated fiscal responsibility in my time as Jail Commander and plan to use this knowledge in my role as Sheriff.
Is there anything else you’d like voters to know about you?
I am happily married to my wife Jami and we will be celebrating our Silver Anniversary this year. We have two intelligent and talented daughters who both attend Purdue University Fort Wayne where they also play basketball. Jami and I can be found chasing them across the country at all of their games.