What office are you running for? Sheriff of LaPorte County
What political party are you affiliated with? Republican Party
What is your education?
- Michigan City Area Schools
- Indiana University South Bend with an associate degree in criminal justice,
- Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
- Leadership LaPorte County
- University of Louisville's Southern Police Institute's leadership studies.
What is your occupation? Chief Deputy of the LaPorte County Sheriff's Office
What is your candidate platform? My platform consists of three strategic goals:
- Public safety. The two biggest issues that LaPorte County law enforcement faces today, is drug and mental health problems; with there being a direct correlation between the two.
- Personnel Investment. With the average life span of a police officer only being 57 years of age, this is 22 years less than the average American of 79 years of age. Also, suicide rates amongst police officers are twice that of the national average. We can and must do better for our deputies, as a mentally and physically fit deputy is a productive deputy.
- Community Investment. Too often we ask our communities to invest into our Sheriff's Office. I feel that this should be a two-way street and the Sheriff's Office needs to invest into our communities.
Give three reasons why voters should consider you this election.
- Experience, I am in my 25th year at the Sheriff's Office, beginning my career within the Jail division. I was then promoted to merit deputy, where I spent 10 years as a patrolman, I then became a detective and spent four years investigating "crimes against person" cases. I was then promoted to Sergeant and spent two years as a shift supervisor, where I was then again transferred to the detective bureau and served as the Assistant Chief of Detectives for two years, until I was appointed and still serve as Sheriff Boyd's Chief Deputy for the last 7 years. I also spent 15 years on the Emergency Response Team; the last four of which I was the team commander, I spent 15 years as a certified diver for the scuba team, and I was a four-year Field Training Officer.
- Leadership & (3) Community Involvement. I serve as President of the board or directors for Grand Heritage Federal Credit Union in LaPorte. President of the board of directors for Stepping Stone Shelter for Women in Michigan City. Vice-President of LaPorte County Triad. Advisory board member of Indiana Homeland Security District 1 Taskforce, and a member of LaPorte County Farm Bureau since 2005.
Is there anything else you'd like voters to know about you? I'm married to my wife, Heather for 16 years, and we have two beautiful daughters, Olivia 12, and Allison 10