Local News

Arrest in Fatal Shooting of Boy

(Michigan City, IN) - A man is behind bars in connection with the fatal shooting of a teenage boy in Michigan City last week.

 

Marcus Ballinger, Jr., 19, is charged in La Porte Superior Court 1 with murder.  It’s alleged Ballinger was involved in the May 15 shooting of Devin Porter, 14, in the 300 block of W. 11th St.

 

According to the charging information, Ballinger and one other male individual had guns and were wearing ski masks when shots were fired.  Porter ran inside his nearby home where he collapsed on a bedroom floor.

 

Ballinger told investigators he and the other individual fired shots but he claimed not to have shot the boy and did not mean to kill anyone, police said. 

 

So far, a motive for the shooting remains unclear.  Family members of the victim told investigators he did not have problems with anyone, police said.

Weather Center

High School Scoreboard

Sports Scores

Facebook