(Michigan City, IN) - Michigan City Police are turning to the public for help in solving the fatal shooting of a teenager.
Devin Porter, 14, was found shot by emergency responders Friday about 4:30 p.m. in the 300 block of W. 11th Street. Police said life saving measures were applied at the scene but the boy later died at the hospital.
So far, no arrests have been reported. Further details were not released due to the ongoing investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact Michigan City Police.
It was the second fatal shooting of a teenager from Michigan City within the past week. Javon Townsend, 17, died on May 9 after shot three times during a post-prom party at a house rented for the night in The Pines.
Two other teenagers from Michigan City High School are recovering from bullet wounds sustained at the party. Michigan City Mayor Angie Nelson Deuitch called for the community to rally behind local youth so they know the first reaction to a conflict should not be using a gun.
“We cannot allow violence, retaliation and trauma to become our new normal for our young people. We need them to have guidance, accountability and support but we also need adults who are willing to intervene,” she said.
Deuitch said the city will continue working with schools, churches and other community stakeholders to curb gun violence.




