(Michigan City, IN) - A fire at a homeless camp was put out by firefighters today, who responded to an area behind the Michigan City Walmart after some employees heard explosions at about 10:30 a.m.
Upon arrival, Michigan City Fire Department spokesperson Tia Free said there was mostly a lot of smoke from smoldering clothes and other similar items. Two tarp tents were on the camp about 500 feet off Cleveland Avenue, with many propane bottles and several heating elements like a propane stove and cast iron wood burning stove probably used in an effort to keep warm.
The explosions heard by Walmart employees were likely from some of the propane bottles rupturing, she said. The brush leading back to the camp was too thick to pull a hose line to the site. As a result, firefighters carried water in backpacks.
Free said it took only about 40 gallons of water to put out what was left of the fire, which didn’t spread because of the wet ground.
No one was there when firefighters arrived.