(La Porte County, IN) - Corn was damaged in what appeared to be a grain dryer-related fire at a La Porte County farm.
According to La Porte County Police, emergency responders were called early Friday to the 800 South and 1150 West areas. Upon arrival, officers spotted three large grain bins on the east side of the roadway and a grain dryer with smoke and flames showing.
Owner Paul Herrold told investigators he believed a timer on the dryer failed to shut off after loading the dryer with a bunch of corn at about 7 p.m. The corn became dry enough to remove, but heat continued to be applied to it until after Herrold was called by a neighbor smelling smoke.
Police said Herrold checked on the batch of corn, and it was on fire.
The value of a load of corn was estimated at about $9,600.
Dryers take some of the moisture out of corn after it's brought in from the fields for proper storage.
When stored, corn containing too much moisture is at higher risk of rotting and clumping inside grain bins. Clumping can plug up the flow of corn while it's being removed from grain bins after several weeks or months of storage.