(Michigan City, IN) - The Michigan City Street Department will begin fall leaf pickup on Monday, October 31.
Residents who want weekly pickups of their leaves may use compost/yard waste bags available from area merchants, according to the mayor's office.
Officials said that leaves in paper yard bags or 32-gallon trash cans should be placed in the front of the property and picked up by the Refuse Department with regular compost day until the week ending November 18.
The Street Department request that residents cooperate by following these simple rules:
- No plastic bags are to be used; however, you may use compost yard waste bags or 32-gallon containers
- Branches, rocks, and other debris must be kept out of the leaf piles
- Leaf piles should be loose in large piles in front of the property as close to the curb as possible but away from the sewer drains, utility equipment, and fire hydrants.
- Please keep animal waste out of piles.
- NO GARBAGE TOTERS, PLEASE!
- Leaves will not be picked up in alleys.
- The Street Department will work on Saturdays in all areas as needed, taking off for Thanksgiving and working the following Friday, November 25.