Local News

New Furnace for Carbon Monoxide Survivors

(La Porte County, IN) - A new furnace is being installed at a La Porte area home where a man and his wife died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Michiana Heating and Air Conditioning is donating the furnace and cost of labor.


Company spokeswoman Janet Lassen said the new furnace resulted from a firefighter involved in the case approaching the owner of the HVAC business to help surviving members of the family at the residence.


“He said absolutely. It just broke his heart,” Lassen said.

Lassen says a service technician found a cracked heat exchanger in the old furnace on 350 North in Center Township. Such a crack can release deadly amounts of carbon monoxide.


Harrison Russell, 60, and his wife Barbara, 56, were found dead inside their home nearly two weeks ago. Officials said their son, Aric, was hospitalized but has since been released.


La Porte County Coroner Lynn Swanson said carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, but an official ruling awaits the results of a toxicology test. The test results might not be known for another 30 days or so.

Weather Center

High School Scoreboard

Sports Scores