Local News

Fire Damage Limited by Quick Response

(La Porte, IN) - Careless smoking could be the cause of a fire at a housing complex in La Porte.


Firefighters at around 3 p.m. on Sunday responded to Cambridge Square Apartments in the area of Indiana 39 and Longwood Drive on the city’s southwest side.


Fire Chief Andy Snyder said the fire was in a housing unit in the middle of a building containing other apartments. Debris on the kitchen floor was burning, which then spread to the cabinets and other areas of the kitchen. The flames were held to the kitchen, sparing the open dining room. 


Several cigarette butts were found in the debris on the floor where the fire started, which also consisted of things like cardboard, towels, and a cooler.


Snyder said the resident left for work about two hours before the fire. Damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $15,000. However, officials believe that the damage could have been worse had the fire made its way out of the kitchen into the living room.


“That would have turned into a pretty extensive fire rather quickly,” Snyder said.

Weather Center

High School Scoreboard

Sports Scores