Local News

Fire Could Be Tied to Smoker

(La Porte County, IN) - Last week, a garage fire in Springfield Township in Michigan City could have been caused by faulty electrical.


Firefighters responded Thursday night to the 7500 block of North 300 West in Springfield Township. La Porte County Police said smoke was billowing from the detached garage.


According to police, the resident, Daniel Bethke, said he had an electric smoker running inside the garage. It was still on a few hours later when he let his dog outside and discovered smoke coming from the structure.


Bethke told investigators he went inside the garage and noticed smoke coming from the electric smoker. However, he was not able to extinguish the flames.


Springfield Township Fire Chief Steve Marvel said there was just minimal structure damage. There was water and smoke damage to the garage.

Weather Center

High School Scoreboard

Sports Scores