Local News

Fire Leaves La Porte Residents Homeless

(La Porte, IN) - Fire left a La Porte man and his mother temporarily homeless, but CPR saved the lives of some of their pets. Firefighters about 9:30 a.m. Sunday responded to a small single-story house at 907 Park Street.


La Porte Fire Chief Andy Snyder said it appears the man was cooking when a grease fire erupted in a pan on the kitchen stove. After putting out the fire safely, the man fled the residence and called 911. He also notified his mother, who was at work.


Snyder said the flames spread into the living room but were extinguished by firefighters within minutes.


“It was a very smoky fire,” Snyder said.

Three cats and a dog were not breathing when found near the residence's front door.


Snyder said oxygen was pumped into the pets' lungs through a mask placed over their faces, and a technique designed to help the heart start beating again was applied.


He said a dog and one of the cats resumed breathing and were taken to the Jane Bernard Animal Adoption Center until the owners made other arrangements for their future care. Two guinea pigs in cages in a back bedroom were not harmed.


Damage was estimated at $15,000.


Snyder said the Red Cross was notified to provide the man and woman with temporary shelter and other needs to help them get back on their feet.

Weather Center

High School Scoreboard

Sports Scores