(LaPorte, IN) - Proceeds from a charity concert this summer were handed out at a special ceremony. Bethany Lutheran Church handed out the funds during a Sunday morning service.
Checks totaling $37,000 were handed out to the following emergency agencies:
- La Porte County Sheriff's Office
- City of La Porte Police Department
- LaPorte City Fire Department
- La Porte County Emergency Medical Service
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources Dist10
- LaPorte County HazMat
- Coolspring Volunteer Fire Department Inc.
- Center Township Fire Rescue
A collection was also started for a new nonprofit called Lifelines for K9s, which will help support retired service K9s.
Pastor Dennis Meyer thanked the over 200 volunteers who made the event a success. According to Pastor Meyer, this year's earnings represent the largest payout to local first responders in over five years. Bethany Church has now raised well over $100,000 from its local hero benefits.