(LAPORTE, IN) -- Today on SOUND OFF, we discussed whether schools should mandate mask-wearing this Fall for students and staff. Some states like Florida forbid schools from requiring masks, but Indiana has decided to leave the decision up to local school corporations.
Listen to the entire episode below:
Locally, here is what has been decided:
- New Prairie United School Corporation: Masks will be optional for students/staff at school; Masks on NPUSC school buses are required at this time due to Federal Mandate. Masks will be required for all staff & students if COVID Positive numbers reach 5% or more in any particular building.
- Michigan City Area Schools: MCAS will follow the recommendations/requirements of local, state, and federal health departments regarding face masks. (Currently, per CDC guidance, face masks are required indoors in schools for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status.) Masks are not currently required for recess and other outdoor activities.
- Westville schools: Masks are optional for students and staff until high community transmission levels, and then masks are required for all students and staff inside the building (except when eating).
- South Central Superintendent Ted Stevens: “For the start of the 2021-2022 school year, South Central will make the wearing of masks optional for all individuals. This decision may be revisited if cases begin to rise or the Health Department recommends a masking requirement in the future. We believe that making masks optional provides opportunities for students and staff to continue wearing masks if they desire.”
- Tri-Township Superintendent Kelly Shepherd: "I am happy to announce that masks will be optional within the school building for the upcoming school year. However, per state directive, we will still require masks be worn on the school bus."
- LaPorte schools: The district plan will be discussed at a Coronavirus Committee meeting on August 2nd, and after necessary revisions, the plan will be publicly released on Tuesday, August 3, 2021.
CREDITS: Nate Loucks (Host), Dennis Siddall (Producer), Jeff Wuggazer (Editor)
SOUND OFF is a community conversation show that airs every Monday and Friday on 96.7 the Eagle in LaPorte County, Indiana. SOUND OFF is a Spoon River Media production.