Local News

Another Fire Call Turns Out to be Rubbish

(Michigan City, IN) - Once again, there was no danger presented to firefighters in Michigan City racing to what sounded like a potential major house fire.


Before 9:00 a.m., firefighters were called to the 500 block of Van Spanje Avenue after everyone inside fled the home, which was filling up with smoke.  Upon arrival, firefighters quickly located a hydrant but there was no need to turn on the water.


Officials said the source of the smoke was smoldering trash inside a small metal garbage can

in the kitchen.  Water from a container was used to douse the fire inside the trash can which was emptied outside.


Last week, Michigan City firefighters were called on a report of a structure fire that also turned out

to be the contents of a garbage can burning next to the porch.


Weather Center

High School Scoreboard

Sports Scores