(Michigan City, IN) - Once again, there was no danger presented to firefighters in Michigan City racing to what sounded like a potential major house fire.
Before 9:00 a.m., firefighters were called to the 500 block of Van Spanje Avenue after everyone inside fled the home, which was filling up with smoke. Upon arrival, firefighters quickly located a hydrant but there was no need to turn on the water.
Officials said the source of the smoke was smoldering trash inside a small metal garbage can
in the kitchen. Water from a container was used to douse the fire inside the trash can which was emptied outside.
Last week, Michigan City firefighters were called on a report of a structure fire that also turned out
to be the contents of a garbage can burning next to the porch.