(La Porte, IN) - A La Porte teenager was honored this week by the Sheriff's Department for his quick thinking in an emergency.
On November 9th, 13 year old Hayden got himself, his little sister, and their pet out of their home when smoke detectors went off as a grass fire was quickly approaching the residence. Following Hayden's call for help to 911, the grass fire was extinguished before reaching the home.
According to the Sheriff's Department, Hayden's actions likely saved the home. He was recognized at the Sheriff's Merit Board Meeting this week.