(New Buffalo, MI) - A Thursday morning fire at the lakefront in New Buffalo is believed to have been caused by an electrical problem. A municipal office building at the city’s transient marina just west of the Whittaker St bridge caught fire about 10 a.m. The office building is used to help operate the marina and serve the needs of boaters docking in slips at the marina for short stays in the city.
City Manager, Dave Richards, says damage was not major but enough to close the building until repairs are made. Richards said contents of the building include restrooms along with a washer and dryer for boaters.
How long the structure will be closed is not known. The damage is still being assessed, however much of the damage involved insulation in the ceiling.
Richards indicates an overheated electrical vent in the bathroom may have been the source of the fire.