(New Carlisle) - New Prairie School Corporation has released details regarding the culmination of this school year.
In a letter to families and staff on Monday, the school district outlined plans for topics ranging from grading procedures to graduation ceremonies.
Here is a summary:
- Administrators hope to hold a traditional Commencement ceremony on May 31. Two alternate dates, June 21 and July 19, have been set in case of postponement. An outdoor graduation at the football field with a limited crowd is a possibility, depending on social distancing requirements.
- Awards ceremonies, including the Top 10 Dinner for seniors, have been cancelled. Awards and honors will be sent to students.
- Prom has been cancelled.
- Elementary school students will continue to receive grades for their daily work. However, their semester grades will be pass/fail. Students will receive a grade of “Complete” for successfully completing at least 70% of their work. Otherwise, they will receive a grade of “Incomplete” for the semester. Second semester grades for secondary students will be based mostly on work completed before the COVID-19 break. 30% of their final grade will be based on E-Learning. There will be no semester exams.
- Summer school, sports camps, and other activities in June have been cancelled.
- Some programs, like Drivers’ Ed, weightlifting, and swim lessons, will take place in a modified form.
- The food distribution program will continue as planned through the week of May 14.
- Students will be notified about retrieving personal belongings, picking up yearbooks, and returning iPads.
Futher announcements in May will add clarity to plans, as the COVID-19 situation develops.